Dollar Academy is recognised as one of the best independent schools in Scotland. Our beautiful campus boasts excellent facilities, and our standards and expectations in all areas are high. We have a community of more than 1,300 day pupils, 90 boarding pupils, and a staff of 240.
Reporting to the Head Chef, the Senior General Assistant will supervise the General Assistants ensuring timely and high-quality food preparation and service, cleanliness of dining hall and adherence to all health and safety legislation
We provide breakfast for boarders, lunch for pupils and staff every weekday, and dinner for boarders, at the weekend we retain responsibility for breakfast and dinner for boarders. Our aim is to deliver healthy, balanced meals, which are interesting, varied and innovative.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Applicants should hold a Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland (REHIS) or equivalent Food Hygiene Certificate plus relevant Allergen Awareness certification and should have substantial experience of working in a similar role possibly within a contract catering environment.
Excellent interpersonal skills are fundamental and you must be able to work harmoniously as part of the team you are leading and be helpful and polite when dealing with pupils, staff and visitors.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise the General Assistants, only escalating serious concerns to the Head Chef. This includes management of rotas and breaks
- To encourage and promote harmonious working relationships and lead by example
- Supervise and assist with the service of food and beverages to all customers
- Ensure deadlines are met and food service occurs on time
- To supervise and assist with the clearing of food from serveries and dining hall swiftly and efficiently
- Ensure cleaning of services and dining hall; all floors and surfaces
- Manage cleaning process ensuring correct stock levels and storage of cleaning equipment and chemicals
- Manage deep clean of all areas at varying times throughout the academic session
- Responsible for General Assistant training related to correct use of chemicals and manual handling
- Ensure self and General Assistants observe highest standards of cleanliness in kitchen and ancillary areas
- Support the Catering Manager in the arrangement of events
- Be prepared to be available for functions, as they arise;
- Carry out any reasonable request made by the Head Chef, Catering Manager, Rector, Bursar or their staff;
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Normal hours are 37 per week with four days worked during the week plus every Sunday
Our support staff are automatically enrolled in the Local Government Superannuation Scheme, to which the Governors contribute the statutory level of Employer’s Contributions.
This is a term time position and school holidays apply.
Employees whose children attend the Academy are eligible for fee remission, and details will be made available to the successful candidate.
All appointments at Dollar Academy are subject to receipt of a satisfactory PVG Scheme Record or Scheme Record Update from Disclosure Scotland. The successful candidate will be asked to make a formal application, the cost of which will be borne by the Academy.
The Academy’s Support Staff Application Form must be completed and may be downloaded from our website, www.dollaracademy.org.uk. CVs are optional.
Completed application forms, with a covering letter, should be mailed to:
Julie Duncan, Human Resources Manager, Dollar Academy Trust, Mylne Avenue, Dollar, FK14 7DU, Clackmannanshire OR emailed to recruitment-j @dollaracademy.org.uk before the closing date of Friday 10th December 2021.