Historically, the Dollar Academy Library has housed important archival materials of interest to the local community and an awareness of their needs is important.
The person appointed will have excellent communication skills as they must work effectively with teachers, other adults and pupils of all ages. The successful candidate will also have first class IT skills and a sound understanding of the place of IT in a modern library.
Duties within the Library include:
- Maintaining and developing the Library and its catalogue.
- Managing stock in order to support pupils of all ages and abilities.
- Budget planning.
- Overseeing the issue and return of books and other materials.
- Liaising with Heads of Department across the Academy to ensure the library provides resources that support the curriculum
- Organising author visits and book events
- Ensuring that the Library is a quiet and fitting place for study, and making sure that all pupils using the Library behave appropriately.
Additional duties include:
- Attending Heads of Department Meetings.
- Helping to maintain smaller library collections in the Academy, including those in the Prep and Junior Schools, History and Modern Studies departments.
- Subject-specific initiatives; currently, the librarian participates in a rolling programme with Form I English classes and provides inductions at the beginning of session to pupils in the Prep and Junior School.
- Hosting materials of significant local interest, in collaboration with the school’s Archivist, and showing an awareness of the importance of these in relation to the history of the Academy.
- Leading a team of volunteer Pupil Library Assistants
The Librarian should be suitably qualified, and having Chartered Librarian status, or being willing to work towards it, would be an advantage.
The salary for this post is £25,758 [based on the CILIP pay scale and adjusted to term time only].
This is a full time, permanent term time only post. Normal working hours are 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday with one hour for lunch. In addition, 10 working days during school holidays are included to cover necessary preparations at the beginnings and ends of terms.
Our support staff are automatically enrolled in the Local Government Superannuation Scheme, to which the Governors contribute the statutory level of Employer’s Contributions.
Employees whose children attend the Academy are eligible for fee remission, and details will be made available to the successful candidate.
All appointments at Dollar Academy are subject to satisfactory clearance through the Disclosure Scotland Protection of Vulnerable Groups Scheme. The successful candidate will be asked to make a formal application, the cost of which will be covered by the Academy.
The Academy’s Support Staff Application Form must be completed and is available to download by visiting our website. Completed application forms should be mailed to: The Human Resources Manager, Dollar Academy, Mylne Avenue, Dollar, FK14 7DU, Clackmannanshire OR emailed to email@example.com
The closing date for applications is noon on Friday 25 September 2020 with interviews taking place during the week of 28 September 2020. CVs and covering letters are optional.