Dollar Academy is an independent co-educational school, founded in 1818, with a school roll of some 1,300 pupils, of whom 90 are boarders accommodated in two Boys’ and two Girls’ Boarding Houses. The Academy is situated in about 50 acres of grounds amidst delightful scenery, in the small town of Dollar at the foot of the Ochil Hills, twelve miles east of Stirling. Edinburgh and Glasgow are both within an hour’s drive.
We have a vacancy within our Grounds Department for a Grounds person. Reporting to the Head of Grounds they will be expected to play a significant role in the day to day maintenance of landscape and gardens whilst working with minimum supervision. The successful candidate will carry out practical skilled maintenance in line with the Grounds schedule whilst ensuring high standards are maintained.
A full, clean driving licence is a pre-requisite for the post.
· Play a significant role in the upkeep and improvement of the gardens which surround various Academy properties and will have knowledge of horticultural practice.
· Using equipment involved in landscape maintenance including road vehicles and trailers
· Competently carry out:
- Soil cultivation
- Site preparation
- Planning and surgery to trees, shrubs and plants
- Grass seed sowing
- Grass cutting
- Sports pitch maintenance
- Sports pitch marking
· Operating and adjustment of:
- Ride-on mowers
- Hand mowers
- Hedge cutters
- Line markers
- Other horticultural equipment
· Maintenance and checking of horticultural equipment under the guidance of the Head of Grounds
· Ensuring the Academy is safely accessible including clearing of leaves in autumn and snow in winter and applying of salt in icy conditions
· Carrying out and recording safety checks of all equipment before use
· Awareness of all Health and Safety requirements applicable to landscape and horticultural operations